Top 10 richest persons in the worldApril 18, 2018
Top 10 richest persons in the world
1. Jeff Bezos(CEO and Founder, Amazon.com)
Net Worth:$112 Billion Country:New Mexico, U.S.
- Amazon’s chief Jeff Bezos is the first person to top $100 billion as number one on the Forbes list of the World’s Billionaires and also Top 10 richest persons in the world.
- He owns 16% of e-commerce colossus Amazon, which he founded in a garage in Seattle in 1994.
- Bezos attended Princeton and worked at a hedge fund before quitting to sell books online.
- His other passion is space travel: His aerospace company, Blue Origin, is developing a reusable rocket that Bezos says will carry passengers.
- Bezos purchased The Washington Post in 2013 for $250 million.
2. Bill Gates(Cofounder, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation)
Net Worth:$90 Billion Country:U.S
William Henry Gates III (born October 28, 1955) is an American business magnate, investor, author, philanthropist, humanitarian, and principal founder of Microsoft Corporation. During his career at Microsoft, Gates held the positions of chairman, CEO and chief software architect, while also being the largest individual shareholder until May 2014.
From 1995 to 2017, he held the Forbes title of the richest person in the world all but four of those years, and held it consistently from March 2014 – July 2017, with an estimated net worth of US$89.9 billion as of October 2017. However, on July 27, 2017, and since October 27, 2017, he has been surpassed by Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, who had an estimated net worth of US$90.6 billion at the time and also Top 10 richest persons in the world.
3. Warren Buffett(CEO, Berkshire Hathaway)
Net Worth:$84Billion Country:Omaha, Nebraska, U.S
- Known as the “Oracle of Omaha,” Warren Buffett is one of the most successful investors of all time.
- He runs Berkshire Hathaway, which owns more than 60 companies, including insurer Geico, battery maker Duracell and restaurant chain Dairy Queen.
- The son of a U.S. congressman, he first bought stock at age 11 and first filed taxes at age 13.
- He has committed to giving more than 99% of his fortune to charity. So far he has given nearly $32 billion.
- With friend Bill Gates he launched The Giving Pledge in 2010, asking billionaires to donate half their wealth to charitable causes.
4. Bernard Arnault(Chairman and CEO, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton)
Net Worth:$72Billion Country:Paris, France
Bernard Jean Étienne Arnault ( born 5 March 1949) is a French business magnate, an investor, and an art collector.
- One of the world’s ultimate taste-makers, Bernard Arnault oversees an empire of 70 brands including Louis Vuitton and Sephora.
- Record results at LVMH and a megadeal to buy out nearly all of Christian Dior helped boost Arnault’s fortune by $30.5 billion in one year.
- Arts patron is the visionary behind the $135 million Frank Gehry-designed Foundation Louis Vuitton museum in Paris’ Bois de Boulogne, opened in 2014.
Arnault is the chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of LVMH, the world’s largest luxury-goods company. He is the richest person in France and the fourth richest person in the world according to Forbes magazine, with a net worth of $75.5 billion, as of March 2018.In April 2018, he also became the richest person in fashion toppling Zara’s Amancio Ortega.
He joined his father’s company after graduating from college. He started planning for the company’s expansion and growth and in 1976 he was successful in convincing his father to liquidate the construction division of the company and invest the proceeds in a more lucrative business and also Top 10 richest persons in the world.
5. Mark Zuckerberg(Cofounder, Chairman and CEO, Facebook)
Net Worth:$71Billion Country:Palo Alto, California, U.S.
- Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s CEO, has seen his net worth soar as the social network’s stock price has skyrocketed.
- A Harvard dropout, he founded Facebook in 2004 at the age of 19.
- Zuckerberg started Facebook at Harvard for students to match names with faces in class.
- He took Facebook public in May 2012 and still owns nearly 17% of the stock.
- Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, have pledged to give away 99% of their Facebook stake over their lifetimes.
6. Amancio Ortega(zara)
Net Worth:$70Billion Country:Spain
In 1975, he opened his first Zara store with his wife Rosalía Mera.
Amancio Ortega Gaona was born on March 28, 1936 (the beginning of the Civil War in Spain) in Busdongo de Arbas, a small village with less than 100 citizens located in the northern Spanish region León. He was the youngest of four other children. Being extremely poor, the Ortega family soon moved to La Coruña, Galicia, Spain, surviving due to Amancio father’s job at the local railway station.
- Amancio Ortega is one of the richest men in Europe and the wealthiest retailer in the world.
- A pioneer in fast fashion, he cofounded Inditex, known for its Zara fashion chain, with his ex-wife Rosalia Mera (d. 2013) in 1975.
- He owns about 60% of Madrid-listed Inditex, which has 8 brands, including Massimo Dutti and Pull & Bear, and 7,500 stores around the world.
- Ortega typically earns more than $400 million in dividends a year.
- He has invested his dividends primarily into real estate in Madrid, Barcelona, London, Chicago, Miami and New York.
And also Top 10 richest persons in the world
7. Carlos Slim Helu(Honorary Chairman, América Móvil)
Net Worth:67.1Billion Country:Mexico
Carlos Slim Helú was born on January 28, 1940, in Mexico City, Mexico, to parents of Lebanese descent. He was one of six children, and his father was a successful dry goods business owner.
Slim and his siblings were taught business from an early age by their father and by the age of 12, Slim bought shares in a Mexican bank. Although his father died in 1953, Slim continued to work in his business until he was 17.
He attended the National Autonomous University of Mexico, to study civil engineering. He also taught algebra and linear programming while at school and went into business immediately after graduating.Working from the strong business foundation built by his father, Slim began his own career, as a trader, in Mexico and soon went on to start his own brokerage that invested in individual businesses. By 1965, his capital had grown big enough, that he was incorporating other companies or buying them outright.
8. Charles and David Koch ( Koch Industries)
Net Worth:$60Billion Country:Wichita, Kansas, U.S.
Charles and David Koch, of Wichita-based Koch Industries Inc., are again among the 10 wealthiest Americans according to Forbes’ latest list of the 400 richest people in the country.
The Kochs are tied at No. 6 on the Forbes 400 list, with each having an estimated net worth of $48.5 billion.
That estimate is up $6.5 billion from the same list in 2016 and pushed the brothers up one spot in the overall rankings.
The Kochs oversee a multinational corporation that employs 120,000 people worldwide, including more than 3,200 in Wichita.
As the company has expanded in the 2000s with high-profile acquisitions of companies like Georgia-Pacific, Invista, Molex and Guardian Industries, the brothers’ net worth, which Forbes estimated in 2005 to be $4.5 billion each, has also grown exponentially.
The Kochs aren’t the only Wichitans on the list, as real estate and gaming mogul Phil Ruffin comes in at No. 315 with an estimated net worth of $2.6 billion and also Top 10 richest persons in the world.
The Forbes 400 is once again topped by Bill Gates of Microsoft, with an estimated net worth of $89 billion.
9. Larry Ellison(CTO and Founder, Oracle)
Net Worth:$58.5Billion Country:Woodside, California, U.S
- Larry Ellison cofounded software firm Oracle in 1977 to tap into the growing need for customer relationship management databases.
- He gave up the Oracle CEO role in 2014 but still serves as chairman of the board and chief technology officer.
- As part of Oracle’s push into cloud computing, it acquired cloud-software firm Netsuite for $9.3 billion in 2016.
- Oracle moved into hardware with its 2010 acquisition of Sun Microsystems for $7.4 billion.
- In 2016, Ellison pledged to give $200 million to the University of Southern California for a cancer treatment center.
10. Michael Bloomberg(CEO, Bloomberg)
Net Worth:$50Billion Country:Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
Michael Rubens Bloomberg (born on February 14, 1942) is an American businessman, engineer, author, politician, and philanthropist. As of February 9, 2018, his net worth was estimated at $50.8 billion, making him the 7th-richest person in the United States and the 10th richest person in the world. He has joined The Giving Pledge, whereby billionaires pledge to give away at least half of their wealth.
On January 1, 2014, Bill de Blasio succeeded Bloomberg as the Mayor of New York City. After a brief stint as a full-time philanthropist, Bloomberg re-assumed the position of CEO at Bloomberg L.P. by the end of 2014. On March 7, 2016, Bloomberg announced that he would not run as a third party candidate in the 2016 U.S. presidential election despite widespread speculation that he would, and later endorsed Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton for president.
In March 2009, Forbes reported Bloomberg’s wealth at $16 billion, a gain of $4.5 billion over the previous year, enjoying the world’s biggest increase in wealth in 2009. At that time, there were only four fortunes in the U.S. that were larger (although the Wal-Mart family fortune is split among four people). He had moved from 142nd to 17th in the Forbes list of the world’s billionaires in only two years (March 2007 – March 2009). In September 2013, Forbes reported Bloomberg’s wealth as $33 billion and ranked him as the 13th richest person in the worldand also Top 10 richest persons in the world.
In March 2012, Forbes reported Bloomberg’s wealth at $22 billion, ranking him 20th in the world and 11th in the United States. In September 2015, his net worth was $43.3 billion, ranking him the 6th richest person in the United States.